1. The competition is open to individuals who are at least 18 years of age.
2. To enter you must submit the following:
• A completed Entry Form submitted online from the competition website (available from 1 February 2019);
• A recording of your vocal rendition of one of the songs found at 16 Stories Synopsis Page;
• Your photograph (file format: jpg, not to exceed 500Kb in size);
• Your bio (approx. 100 words)
3. The competition songs are designated as for Male, Female or Either Voice. You may submit your recording of any of the songs designated for your gender voice type. Wherein your gender is fluid, please tick the appropriate box to access the songs attached to that voice designation. No transpositions will be allowed;
4. No audio editing of the backing track as supplied for the competition vocal entry is permissible;
5. More than one entry is permissible in the competition, but not of the same song;
6. A separate entry fee is required for each song entered in the competition. The entry fee, per song, is $50.00 AUD (Australian Dollars);
7. For the song, or songs, entered, the demo vocal track must be sung to the backing audio track supplied to each entrant;
8. The competition demo vocal entry should model the guide vocal demo as supplied by each originating songwriter, in so far as:
• Using the provided lyric without change;
• Following the general vocal melody of the song. It is, however, important to keep in mind that the guide vocal ‘demo’ to the song being entered is just that. It is not intended to represent a version to be slavishly mimicked.
9. The means by which the competition demo vocal recording is made is wholly up to the entrant. It is perfectly acceptable to record the demo vocal recording for competition entry on a smart phone, or other similar device, using a karaoke app (we suggest using EZ Voice app. which is free and does not require registration). Some entrants will decide to use more sophisticated audio production techniques for competition entry, but this is a personal choice and will not engender any advantage or preference in, or by, the judging panel. In either case, no audio editing is permitted to the vocal track, and it must be recorded in a single pass, be clearly audible over the supplied backing track, and be without any audio artifacts or unwanted audio distortion;
10. The inherent quality of the demo vocal performance and the interpretation of the song are the main criteria in judging competition entries. The specific criteria that the judges will use to make these determinations are:
• Pitch accuracy in vocal performance;
• Artistic choices in the interpretation of the song’s melodic and lyric elements (i.e., vocal phrasing, breath-support, variation in dynamics etc.);
• Originality in the concept for the execution of the song’s melodic and lyric elements, and the extent to which the ideas presented support the theatrical and dramatic construct of the song as intended by the writers. This information is provided on the competition website page, 16 Stories Synopsis Page.
11. The value given to each of these criteria respectively are:
• Pitch accuracy 25%
• Artistic Interpretation 40%
• Originality 35%
12. The decisions made by the competition judges will explicitly follow the terms set out respective to the above criteria and the competition rules. The judging process for the competition will be strictly documented to ensure that any other considerations are excluded from the decision making process.
13. Song entries must be received by the midnight (Australian AEDT) of the specified closing date of the competition. The entry system is so designed that any entries received after the closing date cannot be accepted.
14. Entries to the competition, without exception, must follow the instructions provided to each entrant after submitting the completed competition Entry Form and participation fee. Incomplete, false or misleading information provided on this form will deem the competition entry to be ineligible, shall be immediately disqualified, and the competition entry fee forfeited;
15. The competition judges’ decisions are final in all respects and no correspondence will be entered into. Only the final 16 vocalists selected to appear on the album will be notified in person. All non successful competition entrants will be notified via email at the conclusion of the competition judging, and no later than 28 days after the closing date of the competition.
16. Upon final judging, and if selected to participate in the final recording to be included on the record album, the entrant will agree to attend a recording studio within reasonable proximity of the successful entrant’s place of living as determined by the competition organizers to make the final recording to the backing track as performed by the Australian Discovery Orchestra. The Australian Discovery Orchestra shall furnish or pay (in its sole discretion) the actual costs of recording sessions for successful entrants (including, but not limited to, recording studio and equipment rental, studio, engineering, and mastering personnel and consumables such as recording media). Entrant shall be responsible for any and all other costs that may arise external to the recording session itself (i.e., travel and/or accommodation to and from the recording studio);
17. Upon final judging, and if selected to participate in the final recording to be included on the record album, the entrant must agree to make a video of the performance of the song as recorded in the recording studio, on the day of recording, on their preferred mobile device (i.e. smart phone, tablet etc.) at the direction of the competition organizers and/or record session producer. This video, to be provided to the competition organizers, will then be inserted into the existing orchestra session videos for final video editing prior to publication;
18. All Competition entries, recordings, and/or related submissions become the sole and exclusive property of the Australian Discovery Orchestra upon transmission. Competition entries will not be returned and may be used for any purpose whatsoever related to the Competition, without additional compensation to the participant or any other individual or entity.
19. Neither the Australian Discovery Orchestra nor Quill & Quaver Associates Pty Ltd. shall be responsible for problems with Competition entries, including but not limited to, entries which are lost, late, misdirected, damaged, incomplete, illegible, or cannot be completed due to electronic or technical difficulties, even if the problem is the result of the sole or partial negligence of the Australian Discovery Orchestra even if alleged to be caused by the sole or partial negligence of the Australian Discovery Orchestra or Quill & Quaver Associates Pty Ltd., neither the Australian Discovery Orchestra nor any of its affiliates, partners, principals, agents, assigns, and legal representatives are not responsible for any problems which affect, or result from, participation or attempted participation in the Competition. This includes, but is not limited to, the following problems:
(a) Incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate entry information;
(b) Human errors;
(c) Failures, omissions, interruptions, deletions or defects of any wireless network, telephone network, internet service, computer systems, servers, utility providers, or software;
(d) Inability to connect;
(e) Identity theft;
(f) Tampering, destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries or computer data;
(g) Network hackers or other unauthorized access to Australian Discovery Orchestra’s computer network;
(h) Data that is processed late or incorrectly or is incomplete or lost due to wireless network, telephone network, computer or electronic malfunction or traffic congestion on wireless or telephone networks;
(i) Printing errors;
(j) Equipment malfunctions; and
(k) Late, misdirected, lost, misplaced, illegible, mutilated or postage-due entries.
20. Entrants who, in the view of Australian Discovery Orchestra, Quill & Quaver Associates, Pty, Ltd., provide false, fraudulent or deceptive entries or who engage in false, fraudulent or deceptive acts in connection with the Competition will be disqualified and subject to criminal prosecution.
21. You hereby grant to the Australian Discovery Orchestra, and all of its assigns, licensees, successors in interest, and legal representatives the irrevocable right to use your performance, recording, name, picture, photograph or videotaped likeness, sobriquet and biography, in all forms and in any and all media, whether now known or hereafter devised. Further, you hereby waive any right to inspect or approve any such materials or uses, including written or recorded copy that may be created and appear in connection therewith.
22. You hereby release the Australian Discovery Orchestra, Quill & Quaver Associates Pty Ltd., and all of their assigns, licensees, successors in interest, and legal representatives from any obligation to make any payment hereunder. You understand that you shall not, under any circumstances, be entitled to additional compensation, regardless of the manner or medium in which your submission materials may be used.
23. You hereby release and agree to hold harmless the Australian Discovery Orchestra, Quill & Quaver Associates Pty Ltd., their assigns, licensees, successors in interest and legal representatives from and against any liability whatsoever related to the use of your performance, recording(s) or any other materials included with your submission.
24. By completing your submission, you consent to receive email communications (including marketing communications) from the Competition, its operators, partners, affiliates and sponsors.
25. All entrants agree to be bound by these Rules. Non-compliance with any of these Rules will result in disqualification and all privileges as an Entrant will be immediately terminated. The Australian Discovery Orchestra in its sole discretion, further reserves the right to disqualify any person for:
(i) tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Competition;
(ii) gaining an unfair advantage in participating in the Competition;
(iii) obtaining winner status using false, fraudulent or deceptive means; or
(iv) engaging in otherwise unsportsmanlike, disruptive, annoying, harassing, or threatening behavior.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY ANY PARTICIPANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY CIRCUMVENT, DISRUPT OR DAMAGE ORDINARY AND NORMAL OPERATION OF ANY CONTEST, TELEPHONE SYSTEMS OR WEB SITE, OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF ANY CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE AUSTRALIAN DISCOVERY ORCHESTRA RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
26. The Australian Discovery Orchestra reserves the right in its sole discretion to supplement or make changes to these Rules as well as the rules of any contest at any time without notice. Australian Discovery Orchestra reserves the right in its sole discretion to interpret the rules of the Competition, and such interpretation shall be binding upon all participants.
27. To the fullest extent permitted by law, by participating in the Competition, the Entrant understands and agrees that: if the parties are unable to resolve any dispute that may arise between them amicably, it shall be resolved by means of binding arbitration (not in a court of law); any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with this Competition, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action (even if the rules and procedures of the arbitration tribunal allow class arbitrations); any and all claims, judgments, and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Competition, but in no event and under no circumstances will Entrants be permitted to obtain awards for attorneys’ fees, and Entrants hereby waive all rights to claim punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, or any other form of damages, other than actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased; any claim or dispute regarding the Competition or these Official Rules will be resolved pursuant to the laws of Victoria, Australia, without regard to the conflicts of laws and rules of that jurisdiction; any claim or dispute regarding the Competition or these Official Rules will be resolved in a tribunal within Victoria, Australia, and Entrants submit to the jurisdiction of, and waive all objections to the jurisdiction or venue of, such tribunal; and if for any reason a claim or dispute regarding the Competition or these Official Rules proceeds in court rather than through arbitration, there will not be a jury trial.
28. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules, including but not limited to the agreement to arbitrate, shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. If any such provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, these rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or unenforceable provision was not contained herein.
Copies of these Rules may be obtained by sending a self-addressed stamped envelope to:
Australian Discovery Orchestra Official Competition
Rules ℅ Quill & Quaver Associates Pty Ltd. C/- HLB Mann Judd, Level 9, 575 Bourke Street, Melbourne, VIC, AUSTRALIA 3000.
These General Rules may also be found at https://australiandiscoveryorchestra.com/16-songs-competition-rules/ For a list of any Competition winners send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Australian Discovery Orchestra Competition Winners, ℅ C/- HLB Mann Judd, Level 9, 575 Bourke Street, Melbourne, VIC, AUSTRALIA 3000.